Commissioning somebody else to manufacture and distribute your own designs can be a daunting prospect. Here, Designer Helen Johannessen talks about her journey from making it herself to trusting a producer to manufacture and take her designs to market on a larger scale.
For more information on finding and working with a manufacturer listen to the Own-it Podcast, Design into manufacture - Making the big leap; available here
You may also like to view a sample licensing agreement with a manufacturer.
- Design into manufacture: Making the big leap
- I'm a designer: what do I need to know about IP?
- The IP Guide to...Industrial design
- Doing business in China - A practical guide for creative businesses
- Merchandising Agreement
- Own-it Copyright Factsheet
- What steps should I take to protect IP rights that I can't register?
- Own-it Registered Designs Factsheet
- How to protect your company or brand name
Designer: Helen Johannessen
Lawyer: Margaret Briffa, Briffa
Camera: Donald Bousted
Camera Assistant: Alex Hedley
Post Production: Best Bits Media Ltd
Produced by Silvia Baumgart
Narrated by Nick Kaplony
Photos by Sussie Ahlburg, Full Focus and Gareth Hacker
Filmed at Cockpit Arts and the Business Design Centre
Commissioned by Own-it