Information & Support

These organisatiions can provide creative practitioners with general advice about funding options open to them.

View listings on map
  • Arts Council England - London
    0845 300 6200
    14 Great Peter Street, London SW1P 3NQ

    Arts Council England supplies funding through it's Grants programme.  Eligible projects include research and development, travel, networking events and independent projects promoting critical debate on the production and presentation of contemporary visual art.

  • Co-operative & Community Finance
    Brunswick Court, Brunswick Square, Bristol BS2 8PE
    01179 166 750

    Co-operative & Community Finance has been providing loan finance for co-operatives, employee owned businesses and social enterprises for 30 years. They raise money primarily by public share issue and lend it for social purpose and collective benefit, also managing loan funds for several other organisations providing co-operative and community finance. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) in the conduct of investment business.

  • The Directory of Social Change
    020 7209 5049
    020 7209 5151
    24 Stephenson Way, London NW1 2DP

    The Directory of Social Change is an independent voice for social change, set up in 1975 to help voluntary and community organisations become more effective. They do this by providing practical, challenging and affordable information and training to meet the current, emerging and future needs of the sector. Their main (and most useful) activity is researching and publishing reference guides and handbooks to grant making trusts, foundations and companies in the UK and overseas. Check their website for details on organisations making substantial donations, but also for 'small grants' (usually up to £5,000).

  • Government Grants website

    Online route to grants for the voluntary and community sector from the Department for Education and Skills.

  • Association of Charitable Foundations
    2 Plough Yard, Shoreditch High Street, London EC2A 3LP

    ACF's website has downloadable copies of their advice leaflets, facts and figures about trusts and foundations, and links to all known trust and foundation websites, UK and international umbrella bodies, and other useful resources for grant-seekers.

  • Crafts Council
    44a Pentonville Road, London, N1 9BY
    020 7278 7700

    The Crafts Council's National Register of Makers provides the most comprehensive listing of contemporary craftspeople in Britain. Registration is free and open to practitioners living and working in Great Britain designing and making their own work. Registration is used by members of the public to contact individual makers, as well as shops, galleries, designers and businesses.  The Crafts Council also manages a Development Award, business advice unit, reference library and Photostore, containing over 35,000 selected images of work for viewing by potential clients.  Development Award deadlines are 1 March, 1 June, 1 September and 1 November and candidates must be about to, or have set up their first workshop within the last 3 years. 

  • Financial Services Authority Consumer Help Line
    0800 111 6768 (freephone)

    Check your Financial Advisor is registered with the Financial Services Authority here

  • engage
    Rich Mix, 35 - 47 Bethnal Green Road, London E1 6LA
    020 7729 5858
    020 7739 3688

    engage is the professional body which promotes greater understanding and enjoyment of the visual arts by engaging with the public, artists, galleries and educators. engage also distributes a number of research grants from national and regional sources, and can assist artists in finding employment in the gallery education sector. Their library holds a unique collection of books, reports, research papers and teaching materials for gallery educators' information, research and professional development providing a theoretical background to gallery education practice. You need to subscribe to access some of their resources.

  • CASH
    Community Accountancy Self Help, 1 Thorpe Close, London W10 5XL
    020 8969 0747

    Community Accountancy Self Help (CASH) is a London based community accountancy project that provides financial advice and training to small charities and voluntary groups.

  • Funding Central
    NCVO, Regent's Wharf, 8 All Saints Street, London N1 9RL
    020 7520 2523

    Free information on funding and fundraising, including a searchable database of funding opportunities (loans, grants and contracts with government from over 3,000 funders). Users register a profile and can optionally receive weekly email newsletter with upcoming deadlines and funding news. Introductory information about loan finance and contracting (including toolkits, factsheets etc) with sections on grant funding and trading.

  • Careers and Employability
    Careers and Employability, 272 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7EY

    Careers and Employabilityis a service for students and graduates (up to three years) of the University of the Arts London. They organise talks and seminars, and provide one to one sessions for creative practitioners seeking business advice. They have many downloadable resources such contracts, IP and funding advice.

  • GuideStar UK

    Online list of all UK Charities

This article is from the Artlaw Archive of Henry Lydiate's columns published in Art Monthly since 1976, and may contain out of date material.
The article is for information only, and not for the purpose of providing legal advice.
Readers should consult a solicitor for legal advice on specific matters. Artists can get free online legal information from Artquest.