UK sources

This section lists international advice services for practitioners looking to work abroad.

View listings on map
  • British Council Visual Arts Department

    The British Council used to provides grants designed to help promote British art by assisting professional British artists and craftspeople resident in the UK to exhibit overseas. These have now been suspended due to the funding cuts.

  • Crafts Council
    44a Pentonville Road, London, N1 9BY
    020 7278 7700

    The Crafts Council's National Register of Makers provides the most comprehensive listing of contemporary craftspeople in Britain. Registration is free and open to practitioners living and working in Great Britain designing and making their own work. Registration is used by members of the public to contact individual makers, as well as shops, galleries, designers and businesses.  The Crafts Council also manages a Development Award, business advice unit, reference library and Photostore, containing over 35,000 selected images of work for viewing by potential clients.  Development Award deadlines are 1 March, 1 June, 1 September and 1 November and candidates must be about to, or have set up their first workshop within the last 3 years. 

  • Visiting Arts

    Visiting Arts' purpose is to strengthen intercultural understanding through the arts. 

  • HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs)
    0845 010 9000
    Self assessment helpline: 0845 60 55 999

    Government department (amalgamation of old Customs and Excise with Inland Revenue) responsibile both for collecting personal taxation and customs tariffs. Provides comprehensive information on its functions and your legal responsibilities in paying tax. Services for UK companies trading overseas with little or no exporting experience, from initial queries and market research to advice on finding the right contacts, export procedures and legal issues. Information on VAT and exporting of artworks, national insurance, statutory maternity leave, sick pay and all other personal tax matters. It is your responsibility to register if you are self-employed, by telephoning your nearest office or checking the site - your tax office will then send you the relevant forms and on receipt of them will issue you with a tax reference number. For enquiries or help with your tax return outside office hours, telephone 0645 000 444 or see the IR website for general guidance. Local Business Support Teams (for businesses, as opposed to freelancers/sole traders) provide help and advice to new or small businesses and employers, on topics such as payroll, employment and tax. Free workshops and one to one consultations are available.

This article is from the Artlaw Archive of Henry Lydiate's columns published in Art Monthly since 1976, and may contain out of date material.
The article is for information only, and not for the purpose of providing legal advice.
Readers should consult a solicitor for legal advice on specific matters. Artists can get free online legal information from Artquest.