Artlaw also includes a free online legal advice and information service for visual artists and craftspeople who live and work in England.
Who we CAN help:
- Individual professional visual artists and craftspeople living and working in England
Who we CANNOT help:
- Commercial (for profit) galleries and organisations
- Practitioners whose main career is not in the visual arts or crafts
- Artists and craftspeople who do not live and work in England
- Practitioners requiring advice on non-English law
If you require legal advice and information but we cannot help you, you can still contact a legal advisor.
What we CAN help with:
We can cover any issue surrounding visual arts and crafts practice, including:
- Copyright / intellectual property
- Moral rights
- Image rights
- Import and export
- Health and safety
- and any other element relating to a professional artist or craftsperson's career.
What we CANNOT help with:
- Artlaw cannot answer litigious or potentially litigious queries - you will be redirected to a list of practising solicitors with an explanation as to why we cannot help.
- Legal systems of any country other than England.
- Ongoing legal advice - Artlaw is a first port of contact for general legal advice on specific queries. It is not intended to be a service to support practitioners through, for example, detailed contractual negotiations or amendments, drafting letters or litigation
- Telephone or face to face advice - Artlaw is an email only legal advice service. If you do not have an email address, you can get one for free from Hotmail, Yahoo! or your internet service provider.
How the service works:
Artlaw is a free legal advice service for London-based professional visual artists and craftspeople.
Enquirers go through the online legal advice and links provided in Artlaw and if no existing online advice is specific enough for your query, you send it to us on the online form. We pass this query on to our art legal specialist team, who lets us know if they need more information. If so, we let you know within 5 working days; if not, you get a response within 5 working days. Your response will aim to fill out the options you have and may direct you to alternative legal advice services, or suggest other legal support.
We only provide responses via email - there is no option for either a face to face or telephone meeting. If you do not have an email address, you can get one for free from Hotmail, Yahoo! or your internet service provider.
Artlaw is intended as a first point of contact for legal advice. We cannot respond to ongoing queries or provide legal representation.
We are unable to provide direct contact details for any of our legal advisors; Artlaw is an email forwarding and response service between practitioners and these lawyers. Artlaw provides legal information and advice for professional visual artists and craftspeople living and working in England under English law only. You should read our disclaimer before using any of our services.