Artlaw also includes a free online legal information service for visual artists and craftspeople who live and work in England.
Who we CAN help:
- Individual professional visual artists and craftspeople living and working in England
Who we CANNOT help:
- Commercial (for profit) galleries and organisations
- Practitioners whose main career is not in the visual arts or crafts
- Artists and craftspeople who do not live and work in England
- Practitioners requiring information on non-English law
If you require legal advice and information but we cannot help you, you can still contact a legal advisor.
What we CAN help with:
We can cover any issue surrounding visual arts and crafts practice, including:
- Copyright / intellectual property
- Moral rights
- Image rights
- Import and export
- Health and safety
- and any other element relating to a professional artist or craftsperson's career.
What we CANNOT help with:
- Artlaw cannot answer litigious or potentially litigious queries - you will be redirected to a list of practising solicitors with an explanation as to why we cannot help.
- Legal systems of any country other than England.
- Ongoing legal advice - Artlaw is a first port of contact for general legal information on specific queries. It is not intended to be a service to support practitioners through, for example, detailed contractual negotiations or amendments, drafting letters or litigation.
- Telephone or face to face advice - Artlaw is an email only legal information service.
How the service works:
Enquirers go through the online archive of articles and links provided in Artlaw and if no existing article is specific enough for your query, then fill in the online form. We pass this query on to our art legal specialist team, who lets us know if they need more information. If so, we let you know within 5 working days; if not, you get a response within 5 working days. Your response will aim to fill out the options you have and may direct you to a list of legal advisors, or suggest other legal support, such as the Own-it legal clinics.
Artlaw is intended as a first point of contact for legal commentary. We cannot respond to ongoing queries or provide legal representation. You should read our disclaimer before using any of our services.