Click to add tags to this search
Showing 25-36 of 55 results

This guide discusses the main points you should consider in the early stages of starting out as a self-employed art practitioner, designer or creative business.


National Insurance

People with full- or part-time jobs who are paid by companies, and whose income tax is deducted from their pay, also have a National Insurance (NI) payment deducted as well.

When to pay income tax

The Tax Man Cometh

Reading last month's Page Two (Art Monthly No. 74) contribution by Jennifer Oille, reporting the apparently unfair and inequitable treatment of artists under Canadian tax laws, stimulated some comparison with our own regime; sharing these thoughts might prove interesting and informative.

Creative businesses

But what if?

When I start trading, even with my part-time job, what if I hardly make any money? How will I pay my rent?.

When to pay income tax

Riding the D-Train (part 1)

Because of the unique nature of every practitioner's financial circumstances, it has seemed impossible over the past nine years to address, in a meaningful way in this column, one vital issue.



To register, you will need to contact your tax office and request your Unique Taxpayer Reference number (UTR) – this is the number you need to quote on invoices for your self-employed work so you can get paid without the organisation paying you taking off tax and paying it to HMRC on your behalf.

Welfare benefits

One-off benefits

If you are on JobSeeker's Allowance or Income Support, or some other benefits, and you are in extreme financial circumstances, you can apply for one off grants.

Working Internationally

Global Art Business

This first column of 2008 responds to many readers' requests to explore  key business issues faced by both artists and art business professionals conducting their practices/businesses internationally.

Government Policies and the Arts

The Way Forward?

'Any government, whatever its political line, should take some active steps to encourage the arts.

Paying tax


Accountants help you prepare your taxable accounts for HMRC, help you calculate how much tax you need to pay and can certify that their calculations are correct.

Ways of Working

Working Internationally

There are an increasing number of overseas bursaries and other opportunities for artists, and with these come the prospect of earning a living as an artist outside the UK.


Paying tax

Artists and craftspeople, like any other person living and working in the UK, have to ensure they pay the correct amount of tax on their earnings.