Heath and Safety

If you have a studio the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 will apply to your use of it, as the regulations apply to all places of work, and this includes an artist’s studio.

An overview of its implications is at the Health and Safety Executive website.

The use of inflammable materials and noxious substances is strictly controlled.  Not only must both you and your landlord comply with these regulations, but insurance must be taken out to protect your studio (buildings cover), its contents (contents cover) and yourselves from possible claims made by visitors or other occupiers who suffer loss or injury at your or from your premises (public liability cover).   Most studios will not insure the personal or creative contents of each individual studio.  This is the responsibility of the renting artist.

The health and safety requirements will either be specified in the lease for your premises, or if there is one the tenant’s handbook. In this section we highlight the issues and provide the link to the Health and Safety at Work Executives website from which more detailed guidance can be obtained.  The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order requires fire risk assessments prepared by the owner and available for inspection by the fire officer and any occupier.

Still need help? Contact us

Similar Artlaw articles

Related articles / resources

Featured project

Peer Mentoring workshop at the ICA


Z-Crits are informal, fast-paced online crit sessions for artists. Registration for Z-Crits session 7 is now open. Peer Mentoring workshop at the ICA Z-Crit 7 Deadline for Registration: Monday 18 Octo… Continue Reading Z-Crits

Read more


This article is from the Artlaw Archive of Henry Lydiate's columns published in Art Monthly since 1976, and may contain out of date material. The article is for information only, and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. Readers should consult a solicitor for legal advice on specific matters. Artists can get free online legal information from Artquest.