- Can I negotiate the lease / licence with my prospective landlord?
- What counts as an affordable rent?
- How much deposit would I expect to pay?
- What other costs might I be liable for when renting a studio?
- What kinds of contract might I be expected to sign when taking on a property?
- What is a ‘break clause’?
- In what circumstances can I sublet or share my studio space?
- What kind of access can I expect in a studio or property?
- What health and safety considerations are there?
- What materials might I not be allowed to work with in a public studio?
- What is the difference between a work / live and a live / work space?
- Where can I find lists of studio providers?
Still need help? Contact us
Similar Artlaw articles
Related articles / resources
This article is from the Artlaw Archive of Henry Lydiate's columns published in Art Monthly since 1976, and may contain out of date material. The article is for information only, and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. Readers should consult a solicitor for legal advice on specific matters. Artists can get free online legal information from Artquest.