What is a ‘break clause’?

Coupled with the need for security in your property contract is the need for some flexibility, as you may need to leave your studio unexpectedly.

Some landlords acknowledge this need for flexibility by incorporating a clause that allows you to leave on so many months’ notice, known as ‘a right to break’ or a ‘break clause’, usually after so many months occupancy.  If you can leave the premises at any time after a specified notice period, this is known as a ‘rolling right to break’.

Still need help? Contact us

Similar Artlaw articles

Related articles / resources

Featured project

Peer Mentoring workshop at the ICA


Z-Crits is a new project that seeks to support artists during lock down by providing an online space for them to connect, share work and reflect on the challenges of working at the current time. The d… Continue Reading Z-Crits

Read more


This article is from the Artlaw Archive of Henry Lydiate's columns published in Art Monthly since 1976, and may contain out of date material. The article is for information only, and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. Readers should consult a solicitor for legal advice on specific matters. Artists can get free online legal information from Artquest.