In this section we consider tax and regulatory issues which you ought to be aware of if you decide to work abroad, permanently, semi-permanently or temporarily, either as an individual or by setting up a business and operating through a company or similar structure.

Although membership of the EU gives British passport holders freedom of movement to work in the member states, workers still need to comply with the individual tax regimes of the member states.  Often you will be treated as self-employed, but to avoid having withholding tax deducted (tax from an employer paid directly to the tax authorities on your behalf) it is essential that you register as a self-employed person with a tax reference number in the UK.

Travellers Tales

The international nature of art activity involves many artists and administrators visiting foreign countries, particularly during the summer.  Autumn heralds the start of the academic year in art scho… Continue Reading Travellers Tales

Read more

Global Art Business

This first column of 2008 responds to many readers’ requests to explore  key business issues faced by both artists and art business professionals conducting their practices/businesses internationally.… Continue Reading Global Art Business

Read more