Artist responsibilities toward galleries
As well as gallery responsibilities to artists, artists have responsibilities to act in a respectable and professional manner in their dealings with their galleries.
- To provide ‘sufficient work’ for an annual, or otherwise regular, exhibition, to an agreed schedule.
- To provide all documents and promotional materials such as regularly updated CV, biography, artist statement, titles, media etc.
- Within reason, being available to travel when requested by the galley, and available to meet institutional curators and collectors.
- Agreement to be included in any group shows that the gallery may do.
- Agreement with the gallery about the artist’s own website, if he or she has one and how it links / interacts with the gallery website, particularly in relation to contact details, i.e. can people contact the artist directly and therefore potentially make purchases directly from them?
- Reproduction. Artists should supply professional quality digital colour images for press and promotional purposes. Galleries and publications should credit the artist and the photographer in all advertisements and publicity.
© Medeia Cohan-Petrolino 2011