Projects in 2014: overview
Projects ending in 2014 were:
- The Real World: ongoing talks programme at Whitechapel Gallery focusing on issues relevant to how artists are working today.
- Channel Q: replacing our Self Assembly seminars, Channel Q was a series of interviews with artists around practical topics covering the breadth of an artist’s career
- Practice 360: discussion series at Camden Arts Centre exploring where practice and the practicalities of an artists life intersect, sustain and compete with each other
- Artists Practice Day: partnership with Camden Arts Centre on this peer support event for artists
Ongoing projects through 2014, and those beginning in this year, included:
- The Workweek Prize: an annual award as part of the Artlicks Weekend for an innovative project run by an artist led space
- AWP Internships: six paid internships for UAL graduates at some of London’s most respected small visual arts organisations
- Lifeboat: an annual studio and peer mentoring award for new UAL graduates. 2014 also saw an exhibition and talks programme by artists who were selected in Lifeboat’s first year.
- Artquest Rates: a discount scheme for artists working in selected, high-quality artist-led workshops around London
- The Foundling Residency: three-month bursary and access for a visual artist to the collections and curators of The Foundling Museum, with artist Lucy Cash
- BNC Mentors: one to one advice sessions for New Contemporaries exhibitors provided by Ceri Hand, Manick Govinda (Artsadmin) and Ben Cook (LUX), with two open sessions on helping artists establish peer mentoring groups held in Liverpool and London
One-off projects taking place during 2014 were:
- Gallery Films: a series of filmed interviews with different gallery models interrogating how they worked with artists.
- The Value of Money: a literature review into the motivations and value that artists ascribe to money in their careers.
- Pamphlets: a book of anonymous essays in which artists expressed their views on the art world with complete freedom
- OSE Reader: a series of workshops facilitated by AND Publishing for Open School East associate artists to develop a ‘reader’ for alternative MA programmes
- BerlinBerlin: 2014 <<3 Months in Berlin>> residency artist Lucienne Cole’s response to her time overseas
- A View from the Analyst’s Couch: 2014 Going Dutch residency artist Lisa Castagner’s performative showcase event
- Beam Time: research residency, run in partnership with The Arts Catalyst: artist Alistair McClymont was resident at the Central Laser Facility to engage with the work undertaken there and develop his practice. The end of this residency was marked by a special talk called Making a Universe in which McClymont shared his thoughts and research.
- <<3 Months in Berlin>>: three month artist residency with bursary and travel costs in Berlin, in partnership with ACAVA, and awarded to artist Lucienne Cole.
- Going Dutch: three month international residency for an artist in M4Gastatelier artist-led studios in Amsterdam, awarded to Lisa Castagner.
- Squaring the Circle: programmed by Orlagh Woods and funded by Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), this seminar and discussion day addressed the cultural value and legacy of experimental and transitory arts practices in the UK
- Make Fair Internships: advice and information articles, interviews and resources for interns and organisations providing internships to make them fairer and advocate for paid internships, drawn from evaluation of our AWP Internships programme
This work has a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike License